Friday, January 27, 2012

Movie: HAXAN: WITCHCRAFT THROUGH THE AGES (1922)


This was recommended to me by a friend JT Petty. I've heard about the movie back when The Blair Witch Project was released. So, I picked it up from the library this past week...

A silent film that is part educational film and part horror movie. It's an engaging overview of how and why the myth of witches came to be and an expose on the hysteria of witch hunts.

It's a fascinating film and I recommend it to anyone interested in great silent films. Some of the images are scary, funny, and realistic. You get sucked in by the images you think you're looking into a portal to the middle ages when it's really just some Swedish actors in the 1920s.

What was really neat was all the creepy make-up/ monsters that just happen. Some great trick photography & special fx. The devil in this movie is creepy.


I don't remember my dreams and RARELY have nightmares. After watching Haxan, I went right to sleep and had horrible dreams. Mostly about people doing bad/ gross stuff to other people. I'd prefer to not remember my dreams. Life's too short to spend time trying to analyze them.

STARS: 9 out of 10
QUOTE FROM ERIK: "Want to see one of the creepiest devils in cinematic history? Watch Haxan."